Case study: Coligo
Point of departure
At the time of E3 Holding’s investment, Coligo was managing its sustainability risks and opportunities quite adequately given the company’s size and industry – even if its sustainability risk management was barely formalised and had neither been incorporated into its strategy nor into its operations. However, it was clear from the start that certain risks would gain importance amid changed (client) demands, and that Coligo’s management approach would no longer suffice. Moreover, the company was failing to grasp vital ESG opportunities.
As a first step under E3’s active ownership, Coligo and E3 Holding developed a sustainability strategy to address ESG risks and opportunities, which defines the company’s fundamental sustainability positioning in the market and its level of ambition when it comes to material ESG issues:
- Coligo is now aiming to position itself as an ESG pioneer in the market.
- Sustainability is integral to Coligo’s core business, not least because its IT products and services are designed to help clients implement their own environmental strategies and achieve related targets.
Moreover, ESG-related key fields of action were identified based on client needs and relevant aspects in the upstream value chain.
- Internal ESG management: formalise ESG management standards and demonstrate clear organisational responsibility
- ESG products and services: strengthen the ESG focus of products and services and identify corresponding market trends and client needs more actively
- ESG-related communication: ensure transparency towards external and internal stakeholders
Based on this strategic framework, Coligo developed a sustainability road map together with experts from E3 Holding and fors.earth capital.
The road map includes specific goals and prioritised measures in the company’s main fields of action; supported by the team of experts, the road map is continuously refined and recalibrated in line with the strategic framework.
Since E3 Holding first invested in the company at the end of 2021, Coligo has already taken some key steps on its road map:
- It has established an ESG team and defined structures and processes.
- It has developed a sustainability objective, which serves as an ESG framework and governs internal and external communications.
- It has joined the UN Global Compact.
- It has developed new services to help clients reduce their carbon emissions through selection of appropriate hardware equipment.
- It offers a webinar to raise ESG awareness among potential clients.